Current:Home > NewsLouisiana GOP gubernatorial candidate, Jeff Landry, skipping Sept. 7 debate -Capitatum
Louisiana GOP gubernatorial candidate, Jeff Landry, skipping Sept. 7 debate
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-07 05:39:28
While five candidates vying for the Louisiana governor seat will be gathering next week for the state’s first major televised gubernatorial debate, early GOP frontrunner Jeff Landry won’t be there.
As for why the state’s attorney general is skipping the debate, Landry’s campaign team pointed to one of the organizers of the event — the Urban League of Louisiana, a civil rights organization.
“The participation of the Urban League raises questions about impartiality,” Kate Kelly, Landry’s communications director, said in a statement Thursday. “Media reports say their programs elected Democrats and their leadership and lobbying has been anti-Trump, anti-Second Amendment, and soft on crime which is devastating our cities and rural communities.”
Shortly after it was announced that Landry would skip the debate, the Republican Party of Louisiana — who drew scrutiny after endorsing Landry early in the campaign season — called on all GOP candidates to boycott the debate.
“This debate format is a biased sham that is purposely designed to damage Republicans,” said party Chairman Louis Gurvich. “No Republican candidate should fall for antics like this. To have the radical Urban League as an outside panelist and not balance its ultra liberal viewpoint with a conservative organization is wrong.”
Judy Reese Morse, president and CEO of the Urban League of Louisiana, said they are a nonpartisan organization who advocates on behalf of Black Louisianans and other underserved communities. When it comes to the debate, Reese said the organization’s focus is to ensure candidates have the chance to share their platform.
According to event organizers, the Urban League did not craft questions for the debate and would not be asking questions. Other organizers of the event include several media outlets, television stations and the Public Affairs Research Council of Louisiana.
This is not the first event where Landry has been absent, having missed several other prominent forums with candidates, The Advocate reported. Similarly, former President Donald Trump, who has endorsed Landry, skipped a recent debate saying that he saw little upside in joining his GOP rivals on stage last week, given his commanding lead in the polls.
Despite Landry’s absence and a push by the Louisiana GOP to boycott the event, other gubernatorial candidates took to social media to ensure they would be in attendance. They included Stephen Waguespack, a Republican who said he would “gladly participate” and believes “candidates should deliver their message to all voters as often as they can.”
State Treasurer John Schroder, a GOP gubernatorial candidate, concurred; “Running away from answering questions most pressing to voters is not the kind of leadership we need in Baton Rouge.”
Organizers of the Sept. 7 debate invited the top five candidates, based on a poll. With Landry choosing not to participate the candidates who will appear are; Shawn Wilson, the former head of Louisiana’s Transportation and Development Department and sole prominent Democratic candidate; Hunter Lundy, a Lake Charles-based attorney who’s running as an independent; Waguespack, former head of one of Louisiana’s most powerful business groups; Schroder; and state Sen. Sharon Hewitt.
Landry, who is often in the spotlight over his involvement and staunch support of Louisiana laws including a gender-affirming care ban for transgender youths and near-total abortion ban, is one of seven serious candidates vying for the state’s top position in October. Gov. John Bel Edwards, a Democrat, is unable to seek reelection due to term limits — opening a huge opportunity for Republicans to take control of the state’s highest office.
Landry said he would participate in a debate on Sept. 15 in Lafayette, which is sponsored by Nexstar Media Group.
veryGood! (9255)
Related
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Inmate sues one of the nation’s largest private prison operators over his 2021 stabbing
- Kim Pegula visits Bills training camp, her first public appearance since cardiac arrest
- California juvenile hall on lockdown after disturbance of youth assaulting staff
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- CBS News poll on how people are coping with the heat
- Police investigate killings of 2 people after gunfire erupts in Lewiston
- 6 hit in possible intentional vehicular assault, police say
- How effective is the Hyundai, Kia anti-theft software? New study offers insights.
- Whitney Houston’s estate announces second annual Legacy of Love Gala with BeBe Winans, Kim Burrell
Ranking
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- A North Carolina budget is a month late, but Republicans say they are closing in on a deal
- Robert Chambers, NYC’s ‘Preppy Killer,’ is released after 15 years in prison on drug charges
- Sam Asghari makes big 'Special Ops: Lioness' splash, jumping shirtless into swimming pool
- Kourtney Kardashian Cradles 9-Month-Old Son Rocky in New Photo
- Brittney Griner will miss at least two WNBA games to focus on her mental health, Phoenix Mercury says
- Deal Alert: Save Up to 86% On Designer Jewelry & Belts Right Now
- Super Bowl Champion Bruce Collie's 30-Year-Old Daughter Killed in Wisconsin Plane Crash
Recommendation
Shilo Sanders' bankruptcy case reaches 'impasse' over NIL information for CU star
Below Deck's Captain Lee and Kate Chastain Are Teaming Up for a New TV Show: All the Details
Lori Vallow Daybell sentencing live stream: Idaho woman facing prison for murders of her children
'A money making machine': Is Nashville's iconic Lower Broadway losing its music soul?
Residents in Alaska capital clean up swamped homes after an ice dam burst and unleashed a flood
Former Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson says GOP talk of potential Trump pardon is inappropriate
The FBI should face new limits on its use of US foreign spy data, a key intelligence board says
The Women’s World Cup has produced some big moments. These are some of the highlights & lowlights